Despite the recent legalization of Cannabis in Canada, there remains much uncertainty and conspiracy regarding the drug’s clinical efficacy. This video will provide information on the efficacy and safety of Cannabis in clinical settings. It will focus on pain relief for patients with cancer, as well as examine the patient’s response to medicinal cannabis. The video will explain the basics of the endocannabinoid process so that viewers can understand the biochemical pathways and mechanisms that are frequently referred to in the video.
Video created by McMaster University Health and Life Sciences students Piraveenaa Baskaran and Zein Abdul-Rahman in collaboration with McMaster Demystifying medicine program.
Copyright McMaster University 2020
has more information and resources. Please refer to the references below .1. Blake A, Wan BA. Malek L. DeAngelis C. Diaz P. Lao N. O’Hearn SM. A selective review on medical cannabis for cancer pain management. Annals of palliative Medicine. 2017 Dec 1;6(suppl 2):s215-22. Available from: ective_review_of_medical_cannabis_in_cancer_pain_management/links/5a159d8845 85153b546c8fbd/A-selective-review-of-medical-cannabis-in-cancer-pain-managemen t.pdf
2. Macari DM. Gbadamosi BB, Jaiyesimi i, Gaikazian S. Medical Cannabis for Cancer Patients: A Survey of a Population Hematology Oncology. American journal of clinical cancerology. 2020 Sep 1;43(9): 636-9. Available from: /
3. Cohen I, CampisiPinto S. LewitusGMM, Oz-Ari L. Jehassi A., Peer A. Turgeman I. Vernicova O. Berman P. Wollner M. Low Clinical Outcomes from Cannabis Consumption by Cancer Patients During Immunotherapy. Cancers. 2020 Sep;12(9): 2447. Available starting at: 7
4. Vigano A, Canac-Marquis M, Gamaoun R, Beaulieu P, Neron A, Moride Y, Martell MO, Desroches J, Perez J. The Quebec Cannabis Registry: A pharmacovigilance study and effectiveness study regarding the use of medical marijuana in cancer patients. Available starting at: 9
5. Chye, Y., Christensen, E., Solowij, N., & Yucel, M. (2019). The Endocannabinoid System & Cannabidiol’s Promise to Treat Substance Use Disorders Frontiers in Psychiatry, 10, 1-12. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2019. 00063
6. Lu, H., & Mackie, K. (2016). An introduction to the Endogenous Cannabinoid System. Biological Psychiatry, 79 (7), 516-525. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2015.07. 028
7. Sallaberry, C., & Astern, L. (2018). Our Universal Regulator, The Endocannabinoid System. Journal of Young Investigators, 34 (6), 48-55. doi: 10.22186/jyi.34.5. 48-55